You are what you eat. From overall health to mental acuity, the foods you consume can do a lot for your body. One thing you may not have realized is that the foods you eat could serve as a natural tooth whitening system. So if you think your teeth are looking a little drab and yellow, try incorporating some of these foods into your diet.
What Foods Help Your Teeth Stay White?
The following foods are gentle and do not put your tooth’s enamel at risk, but they can still whiten your teeth and brighten your smile. If you want to naturally whiten your teeth and brighten your smile, start eating:
- Strawberries - Strawberries contain malic acid, a natural astringent that removes tooth discolouration at the surface. Incorporate strawberries into your daily diet and enjoy the natural boost of vitamin C and whitening to your teeth.
- Nuts and Seeds - Nuts and seeds are naturally abrasive, yet gentle. They can remove plaque and stains off the surface of your teeth, giving you a whiter smile in the process.
- Apples - Apples also have a high concentration of malic acid and serve as a natural tooth-scrubber as you eat them.
- Pineapple - This is the only food that naturally contains bromelain, an anti-inflammatory agent with natural cleansing properties. Bromelain is an effective ingredient in natural tooth whitening.
- Broccoli - High in fiber, broccoli reduces inflammation in your mouth and can clean and polish your teeth.
- Raisins - Raisins may be sticky and dark in colour, but they clean the mouth quickly and stimulate saliva, which prevents plaque and stains.
- Celery and Carrots - Naturally high in water, these veggies stimulate saliva which washes away food and strengthens the gums.
- Oranges - Citrus acid can make teeth whiter, but make sure you eat these foods in moderation; too much can wear down delicate tooth enamel.
No matter what you eat, to keep your teeth white, you need to practice good hygiene. That includes brushing and flossing and having your teeth professionally cleaned and inspected at least once a year (preferably twice a year).
Get Professional Teeth Whitening in Calgary
Despite following a good diet, sometimes you need professional intervention to brighten your smile. A Calgary cosmetic dentist can whiten your teeth using take-home kits with which you can whiten your teeth in the comfort of your own home with custom-fitted plastic trays and a whitening gel solution.