Your teeth are amazing, and you know it! That is why you brush twice a day (hopefully) and floss. Your teeth will be with you for the rest of your life and help you do everything from eating to talking to smiling. While you know these basic facts, there are a few others you may be unaware of.
Interesting Facts About Teeth
These facts are fun and may even motivate you and your children to clean up those teeth a little better each day:
- Before modern toothpaste was invented, humans had to use charcoal or ground chalk and ashes to clean their teeth.
- The average person spends 38 days brushing their teeth in their lifetime.
- About one-third of your teeth are unseen because they are hidden under your gums.
- You will have two sets of teeth in your lifetime, but sharks have 40 sets of teeth in a single lifetime.
- Your teeth start to form before you are born, but they do not actually show until you are 6 to 12 months old.
- Your mouth will produce over 25,000 quarts of saliva in a lifetime.
- The average person only brushes 45 to 70 seconds per day; not nearly enough to keep them clean.
- Your tooth prints are unique to you, just like your fingerprints.
- There are more than 300 different types of bacteria that make up dental plaque.
- If you are right-handed, you likely chew your food on the right side. If you are left-handed, you will tend to chew on the left side of your mouth.
- If you do not floss, you are missing out on cleaning 40 percent of your tooth surface; which is why you should be flossing twice a day.
- Your tooth enamel is the hardest surface in your body.
- If you drink three or more glasses of soda each day, you are likely to have 62 percent more tooth decay, fillings and loss than those who do not indulge the same way.
- Dogs have 42 teeth, cats have 30 teeth, pigs have 44 teeth and an armadillo has 104 teeth.
- The Blue Whale may be the largest mammal, but it has no teeth, which is why it has to eat, or rather, swallow small shrimp.
Visit a Calgary Family Dentist to Take Care of Your Amazing Teeth
Now that you know just how amazing your teeth are, do not forget to take care of them. Not only should you be brushing and flossing twice a day, but you need regular checkups, cleanings and x-rays performed by your family dentist.
Abougoush Family Dental in Calgary is here to help protect your teeth and keep them bright, white and healthy. We are currently accepting new patients, so schedule your appointment today. Give us a call at 403-289-7370 or contact us online.