Dental crowns are tooth-shaped caps that are placed over an existing tooth. They fully cover the tooth and help restore its shape and size, while improving overall appearance. To keep the crown permanently in place, dental cement is used.
Why Would I Need Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns are used by dentists in Calgary for a variety of reasons, but some of the more common reasons you may need one include:
- To restore a weak tooth. If you have a weakened tooth from breakage or decay, the crown will help hold the weakened pieces together.
- To restore a broken tooth.
- To cover and support a tooth that contains a large filling.
- To secure a dental bridge into place.
- To help cover severely discoloured or misshapen teeth.
- Cosmetic modification purposes.
- To help cover up a dental implant.
The Process of Receiving a Dental Crown in Calgary
Dental crowns may require more than one visit to your family dentist in Calgary. This is because the tooth must be prepared and additional treatments may be necessary before the crown can be put in place. If your dentist feels you are a suitable candidate for a crown, you will go through the following steps:
- The tooth must first be examined and prepared. Your dentist will take x-rays to examine the roots of your teeth and ensure the decay has not spread or put you at high risk for infection.
- Your mouth will be numbed and then your dentist will file down the tooth along the chewing surface in order to make adequate room for the crown. Depending on the material used for your crown, you may need less or more space.
- After the tooth is reshaped, the crown will be immediately milled using a CEREC® machine. Not all dental offices have CEREC technology; therefore, if your dentist does not have it, you will have to wear a temporary crown until the permanent one can be manufactured by a laboratory.
- Next, your dentist will install the ceramic tooth using dental cement.
Abougoush Family Dental is your local family dentist in Calgary. We use the CEREC restoration technology so that you can receive your dental crown in the same office visit. If you have a weakened tooth or broken teeth due to decay, you may be a candidate for a dental crown. Schedule an appointment with our dentist today for your crown consultation. You can schedule your consultation appointment by calling us at 403-289-7370 or contacting us online.