Dental Braces — Options for Adults
Braces are not just for kids. In fact, many individuals do not get braces to correct their teeth until adulthood. If you are considering braces, you may be wondering what your options are now that you are an adult. For most patients, there are two options: Invisalign® and regular braces.
Choosing the Right Braces
Braces and Invisalign® are meant to straighten your teeth and improve your smile. However, braces have been around much longer than Invisalign® products.
- Braces – Braces are made of metal brackets that are glued directly to the surface of your teeth. They are then tied together by wires and use tiny rubber bands for tightening. You can get metal braces that are tooth-coloured so they do not stand out or you can choose bright colours if you prefer that style.
- Invisalign® – This product is designed to be invisible. It consists of an aligner tray made from comfortable, BPA-free plastic. You wear it over your teeth to gently realign them. Aligner trays will then be configured for each stage of the realignment until your teeth are straight.
Deciding Between Invisalign® and Regular Braces
- Need to move teeth vertically – not horizontally
- Need to rotate the location of canine or premolar teeth
- Have back tooth bite issues
Also, if you cannot commit to wearing your trays for at least 22 hours per day, you will not get the full benefit of Invisalign® braces. A few other things to consider when comparing the two include:
- Treatment Time – Regular braces are worn 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for an average of two years. Invisalign braces are worn 22 to 24 hours a day for six to 18 months, depending on the severity of your teeth.
- Cost – Invisalign® costs about $6,500 on average, while regular braces cost about $8,000.
- Maintenance – You will need to brush brackets and wires often and use a water pick to remove any food particles that may become lodged into the brackets. With Invisalign®, you use a provided cleaning system or rinse and brush the trays in warm water.
- Visits – With braces, you need to visit your local dentist every month, while with Invisalign®, you will need to change trays every two weeks and be seen every four to six weeks.
- Comfort – Invisalign® does not cause discomfort or issues with food getting caught in the braces. They are removable, so you can play sports without a risk for injury. Braces, on the other hand, ensure your teeth are re-straightened, because there is no temptation to remove them.
Abougoush Family Dental offers Invisalign® in Calgary for adults that want clear, easy teeth straightening. Even if you do not qualify for Invisalign®, our orthodontists can help you find the right type of braces to get your teeth into shape. Schedule your consultation appointment by calling us at 403-289-7370 or contact us online.