Which to choose for tooth replacement: Bridge Crowns or Dental Implants
If you have finally decided to replace that missing tooth but not sure what happens next, take the time to understand the differences between dental implants and fixed bridge crowns. Both options are used to replace missing teeth but one or the other may be a better fit for you depending on your individual case. A dental implant is a new, artificial tooth that is attached to your jawbone, while a bridge dental crown involves using the support of your natural teeth. Consulting with your Calgary dentist will help you determine which procedure will better help to improve your oral health and self-esteem.
Recreate the Look and Functionality of Your Natural Teeth at Your Dental Clinic in Calgary
Dental implants are surgically placed into your jawbone, either through a titanium cylinder, screw or blade. The cells from your jawbone will eventually attach themselves to the metal implant, which refers to a process called osseointegration. Your dentist will then place a prosthetic tooth on top of the implant to give the appearance of a natural looking tooth.
- Implants are just as stable as natural teeth – they will not shift or slip
- They do not rely on other teeth for support
- You can clean implants with regular brushing and flossing; just as you would for natural teeth
- Implants are an excellent option to help maintain the structure of the jawbone for a healthy looking smile
A dental crown is a prosthetic tooth, made of either porcelain or ceramic that is placed over your existing tooth to help cover up and repair the area. When one or two teeth are missing, your dentist will use a fixed bridge to fill in the gap. The natural teeth surrounding the gap will be ground down so the crowns can fit over them. A bridge consists of two crowns at the opposite ends of the gap and a replacement tooth, which is used to fill the gap. To prevent the teeth from shifting out of position, the bridge is cemented onto your natural surrounding teeth.
- Fixed bridges provide more stability for eating and speaking
- They look natural and help preserve your bite
- They help strengthen your tooth alignment
- They require regular cleaning just like your natural teeth
- They are less expensive than implants
Cosmetic Dentistry in Calgary for a Perfect Smile
Abougoush Family Dental Care is Calgary’s leading dental clinic, offering comprehensive general and cosmetic dentistry for both adults and children. From dental implants and fixed bridge crowns to braces and teeth whitening, we have the expertise and capacity to manage a wide range of dental issues and procedures for your oral health. We are currently accepting new patients at our dental clinic in NW Calgary.