What is Cosmetic Dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry has become increasingly popular over the past few years. From tooth whitening to shaping to correcting crooked teeth, dentists have access to a wide range of tools and technologies that make cosmetic procedures attainable, affordable and even quick.
If you are unsatisfied with your smile, cosmetic dentistry may be the best option for correcting it. Before scheduling your appointment, you should familiarize yourself with how it works and what is correctable, versus what is not.
Do I Need Cosmetic Dentistry?
Everyone would love to have a perfect smile, however, nature is rarely that accommodating. Today you can quickly brighten your smile, correct crooked teeth and even replace missing teeth. There are some things, however, you should know about cosmetic dentistry:
- It can be expensive depending on the extent of the work needed.
- Insurance may not cover the procedure you need.
- Cosmetic dentistry does not last forever and you can damage the work done if you do not take care of your teeth according to your dentist’s instructions.
- You should be realistic. Your dentist will tell you what is attainable and what is not for your teeth.
Cosmetic dentistry is a specialty within dentistry and not all dentists can provide cosmetic procedures. You will want to make sure the dentist you are considering specializes or has additional training in cosmetic dentistry.
If you are considering a change, there are a few questions you can ask yourself first, such as:
- Are you a candidate? Most people looking for cosmetic dental procedures do so because there is something they need to correct with their smile, but if you have bone deterioration or severe gum disease, these may need to be corrected before the cosmetic procedure can begin.
- What procedure are you looking for? There is a large variety of procedures available, including teeth whitening, bonding, dental crowns, dental implants, etc. Each has their own list of benefits and capabilities.
- What are the costs? When you meet with a dentist for a consultation, ask about the costs, including additional care and follow-up costs you may encounter if you proceed.
- What are the long and short-term benefits? All procedures have their lifespan, so you will want to discuss the long and short-term benefits of each with your dental professional.
Visit Your Calgary Family Dentist for a Consultation
If you are unhappy with your smile, cosmetic dentistry could be the solution you are looking for. At Abougoush Family Dental in Calgary, we offer a large variety of cosmetic procedures that can help you fix a crooked smile, correct discoloured teeth, and more. We will do a smile analysis consultation and help find the perfect procedure for you.
Schedule your appointment by calling us at 403-289-7370 or contact us online.