Keep Your Teeth White: Avoiding Teeth Stains
Everybody wants a bright and white smile to show the world. As we get older, though, our teeth start to show their years of hard work and can start to appear discoloured. It can be disheartening to look in the mirror and feel that your smile is taking away from your looks. There are some ways to prevent further tooth discolouration and also some tried and true methods to remove existing teeth stains.
How to Prevent Teeth Stains
If you are interested in combating tooth discolouration with preventative care, here are some useful tips:
- Practice Good Oral Hygiene: Brush, floss, and rinse with mouthwash every day to eliminate plaque and bacteria. A buildup of plaque on or between your teeth can be sticky and give stains something to adhere to. Eliminate that opportunity by keeping teeth clean with a consistent oral hygiene routine.
- Drink Water: Try to choose water and avoid sugary drinks that stain teeth. Coffee and tea, soda, wine, and grape or cranberry juice are known to cause stains and should be avoided. If you want to have a sip, try to use a straw to keep liquids away from the surface of your teeth.
- Eat Smart: Certain foods are also a major cause of tooth discolouration. Blueberries, beets, soy sauce and tomato sauce can all permanently stain your enamel, so enjoy them in moderation.
- Rinse with Water: If you can’t imagine waking up without your morning coffee, consider rinsing with water after indulging. Be conscious when you consume the other stain-causing drinks and foods listed above and thoroughly rinse your mouth after eating. If you can, wait thirty minutes and then brush your teeth to really eliminate the chances of stain-causing residue lingering on your teeth.
- Regular Teeth Cleaning: Scheduling regular teeth cleaning appointments with your dentist in Calgary will also help limit tooth discolouration. Your dentist will alert you of major changes in your oral health and recommend necessary changes to your oral hygiene routine.
Visit Your Calgary Family Dentist for Teeth Whitening
Too late for prevention? If you notice tooth discolouration and want a solution, Abougoush Family Dental Care offers teeth whitening in Calgary. Convenient take-home treatments make it easy for you to get a whiter smile fast. Our treatments are customized to your specific needs and teeth, so you can get a smile you are proud of. Visit our dental clinic in NW Calgary, for cosmetic dentistry procedures, orthodontics, or a routine checkup.
Schedule your dental appointment by calling us at 403-289-7370 or contact us online.