Persistent Bad Breath? See a Calgary Dentist Today!
Occasional bad breath is normal, but it is still unpleasant. If you have persistent bad breath, you need to examine why. While sometimes it is as simple as the foods you eat, other times your bad breath is an indicator something more serious could be going on.
If you are worried about bad breath, visit a family dentist in Calgary right away for a check-up.
What Your Persistent Bad Breath May Be Telling You
There are numerous reasons you could have bad breath, but identifying the cause can help you and your Calgary dentist determine a proper course of action. Some common causes of bad breath include:
- Food. Garlic, onions and other strong-smelling food items can remain in your teeth, especially if you do not floss or brush regularly. These then collect bacteria and cause bad breath.
- Gum Disease. Bad breath combined with red and puffy gums or bleeding gums could be a warning sign of early gum disease. Gum disease occurs when you have too much plaque build-up.
- Smoking or Tobacco Use. Smoking and tobacco will not only yellow your teeth, but irritate the gums and increase the likelihood that you may develop gum disease. Even if your gums are healthy, these habits can cause bad breath on their own.
- Dry Mouth. Your mouth requires a level of saliva to clean away food particles. Whether your dry mouth is caused by a medical condition, medication side effect or just lack of water, it can lead to bad breath.
- Chronic Conditions. Some conditions, such as diabetes, liver disease or infections, can cause bad breath. By managing or treating these ailments, you may be able to stop the persistent bad breath.
Preventing Bad Breath
Practicing good oral hygiene is a good start. Seeing your family dentist in Calgary regularly for teeth cleaning and check-ups can catch any early signs of disease or decay.
If you have loose teeth or red, puffy gums, schedule an appointment with your dentist in Calgary right away for an examination to make sure you do not have an infection.
Abougoush Family Dental Care is currently accepting new patients. We can help diagnose the cause of your persistent bad breath and help get your teeth and gums back to optimal health.