Five Myths about Root Canals – What You Should Know, But Don’t
It is not uncommon for most people to cringe at the words “root canal,” but why does this common dental procedure get such negative reactions? Unfortunately, root canals got hit by a reputation as being “painful.” A number of myths still exist and patients tend to avoid root canal therapy for all the wrong reasons.
Hopefully, these myth busters will put your mind at ease. Whether you need a root canal or not, speak with your family dentist in Calgary and voice your concerns. Your dentist will be more than happy to make the procedure as painless, effective and comfortable as possible.
Common Myths about Root Canals – and the Real Truth
- Myth #1: Root Canals are Painful – Root canal therapy relieves pain. And, with modern technology and anesthetics, it is no more painful than getting a filling.
- Myth #2: Root Canals Can Cause Illnesses – There is no valid or scientific evidence out there linking root canal treatments and disease. While there are some websites that claim root canals can lead to illness, this is based on a false and poorly researched theory made over a century ago.
- Myth #3: It Is Better to Pull the Tooth than Do a Root Canal – Keeping your natural teeth is much more important. Your Calgary dentist is likely to recommend a root canal because it will preserve your natural tooth.
- Myth #4: You Don’t Need a Root Canal If You Are Not in Pain – Just because you do not experience pain does not mean you do not need a root canal. If your dentist has caught the early signs of tooth decay, he or she may recommend a root canal to prevent pain and long-term damage in the future.
- Myth #5: Root Canals Take Multiple Appointments – In most cases, root canals are done in just one appointment (two for severe infections).
Root canals are nothing to fear. These procedures relieve pain, help preserve your natural teeth and are often covered by dental insurance – making them beneficial to those who need them.
To learn more about a root canal or to schedule your dental check-up, contact your local dentist in Calgary at the Abougoush Family Dental Care office. Give us a call at 403-289-7370 today.